For more information on WHO recommendation and compliance standards, check the article updated on Medium.
Take home messages
- Wear a surgical mask whenever going out from home
- Wear an N95 respirator in high risk areas, e.g. hospitals
- Purchase masks from trustable sources
- Check mask specifications:
- Surgical mask: ASTM F2100 Level 2/3 or EN14683 IIR
- Filter efficiency: BFE: 3 micron vs PFE: 0.1 micron
- Respirator: N95 (US NIOSH) or FFP2 (EU)
- Sanitize hands before and after wearing masks
- Make sure the mask is on the right side and fits tightly
- Carry out fit test for respirators
- Replace face masks timely
- Do not touch the outside of mask
- Discard mask per use. DO NOT REUSE.
- Hand hygiene is also important, but DOES NOT REPLACE face mask protection